Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Flower Fields

Hate that place. I hate more than most of the other domains. Such a terrible place, masked by the false beauty of the flowers.

But there is something I need. Something Marshall told me of.

And I had reason to believe that a piece of it was hidden there.

I traversed to the Flower Fields using the Godsway. It was a vast meadow, stretching as far as my eyes could see. Every flower imaginable was there. Roses, tulips, blue bonnets, daffodils,  and a bunch of others.  Even species of flowers that don't exist on Earth. Some kinds which can only be found on the deeper layers of reality.

But I knew what was beneath it all. Even the overwhelming scent of the flowers couldn't hide the smell. Mixed in with the soil were the decaying remains of dead bodied. The countless victims of the Smiling Man.

I took a deep breath and started walking. It was hours before I found it.

It appeared to be a very large, flower covered hill. I used the Vision's sight, and the illusionary face of the hill vanished, revealing the mouth of a giant cave. As soon as I entered, I dropped to my knees, gagging. There were no flowers there. Nothing to mask the terrible smell of decay.

I took a deep breath and kept going. I had to find what I came for. I descended into the cave. I must of gone a mile underground, and the smell got worse the deeper I went.

Eventually, I found it. The alter containing the item I sought. And He stood in my way.

The Smiling Man stood there between me and the alter, just grinning like he always fucking does. I drew my rapier as he summoned his cloud of razor sharp petals.

I charged. I was pelted with those damn petals, slicing my skin. I used the Bride's power to burn through most of them. I stabbed my sword straight through his fucking chest. But it didn't phase him. He lifted his arms, and the torn sleeves of his straight jacket grew out and bound me.  They tightened, causing me to release my sword. I slipped into the Godsway and reappeared a few feet away. I slipped my jacket off my shoulders and ran at him. I dodged his sleeves and lassoed his face with my jacket. I tightened my grip, dug my feet into the decaying soil, and flung him as far as I could. He hit the ground a couple yards from me. I ran to him and yanked my sword out of his chest, and tried to drive it into his face, but he vanished.

I could still feel him somewhere. He hadn't left completely. He was just hiding. I closed my human eyes.

And I opened my other ones. On the walls, ceiling, and ground they opened, giving me a perspective of my surroundings. I saw him emerge behind me. I quickly closed my other eyes, spun around, and stabbed him through the gut. I then set his ass on fire and watched him burn to a crisp.

He's not dead. He'll be back, and next time, he'll be serious. But that's not important.

What's important is that I got what I came for. And that's enough for now. I can afford to wait a while before going for the rest of them.

Besides, I still have things to do on the Page. 

Til next time....

-ParaDan

1 comment: