Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Jack Of All

I was leaving my house this morning to go look for Jack, and as I opened the door, I saw the Thorned Prince standing there waiting for me.

"You wanted to see me?" He asked.
"How did you-" I began, but he interrupted me.
"I read your blog post last night," He explained. "That's how I knew you'd want to see me. And I got your address from the dietitian."
"Whatever happened to doctor-patient confidentiality?" I asked. "Isn't it illegal to give away a patients information?"
"The Oathbreakers don't always follow the law," He said.
"Oathbreakers?" I asked.
"Servants to the Plague Doctor," He explained. "He's one of the Fears you loath so much."
"How exactly do you know the Oathbreaker?" I asked. "Are you the reason he's been leaving me alone?"
"I convinced him to leave you alone, yes," He said. "I don't know how long he'll keep his word, though. They are called 'Oathbreakers' after all."
"So how do you know him exactly?" I asked.
"It's complicated," He said.
"Are you an Oathbreaker too?" I inquired.
"No," He said. "But I won't deny that I am one of the Doctor's servants."
"Why would you serve one of them?" I demanded.
He showed me his wooden arm. "He helped me when I needed it," He said. "He saved my life and gave me the strength I needed to battle the demon in my life."
"'The demon in your life'?" I asked.
"The same one who torments you and your friend Tony," He said.
"The faceless entity?" I asked.
"Yes," He confirmed. "You seek my help in fighting him just as I seek yours."
"Why do you want my help?" I asked. You know, looking back, I asked a lot of questions during this conversation.
"You fought and won against the Archangel in one of it's strongest bodies," He said. "You bested a samurai with 300 years worth of combat experience in a sword fight. You literally pounded the 'Wood Bitch', as you call her, into the ground. You have a lot of potential. You and I could make a good team together."
"I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable working with an eldritch servant," I said nervously.
"I'm not demanded an answer right away," He said calmly. "Just give it some thought. I'll speak to you again soon." He then vanished through a portal.

I turned to go back inside and saw that Jack was there leaning against the door frame.


"What a shame," He said. "I was hoping you would come visit me. But It wasn't too much trouble to visit you instead."
"How did you know where I lived?" I asked.
"I have my ways," He said. "Anyway, I know about your little problem with the Slender Man, and I can give you help."
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"I can't give you the power to kill a Fear," He said. "I can, however, give you what you need to teach it a lesson. All you need to do is make a deal with me."
"What would it cost me?" I asked hesitantly.
"Nothing much, just a few favors later down the road," He said. "So, what's it gonna be?"


He reached his sun-burnt hand toward me, offering to shake mine as a deal closer. I looked past him, and saw her. The lady in Tony's sketch. Only she was real. I think. She was see-through and glittery. I'm not sure if Jack noticed her. She shook her head and I heard a voice in my head saying Those you make bargains with Jack Of All always find themselves suffering.


"I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I'd rather not," I said to him.
"Very well," He said. "Just remember that my offer still stands. If you decide to change your mind, I'm always willing to make a deal."


And then he vanished.




I think my informant isn't human. There's also something that The Thorned Prince said to me. "You fought and won against the Archangel using one of it's strongest bodies."


"One of"


That implies that it has more. And some of them are stronger.


Ffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk

2 comments:

  1. So why were the last sentences covered in white?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why that happened. I blame the eldritch thingies.

    ReplyDelete