Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Malkator

I woke up this morning to find Tsu staring at something on my desk. Upon closer inspection, I realized that he was reading the letter that I had received from that Benjamin Malkator guy.

"This is troubling," He said.
"What is?" I asked.
"Do you know who Malkator is?" He asked me.
"No, I don't," I said. "Do you?"
"It's a long story," He told me.
"I've got time," I replied.
"Very well," He began. "When I first joined the Archive, I was given the title 'Collector Omega'. There was some one else who held the title of 'Tsu'. He was close to another Collector who was known as 'Collector Xi'. She was his mentor. Despite that, he had trouble fulfilling the duties that he was given. This caused him to believe that he was always destined to fail at everything. One day, he decided that he wasn't qualified to be a Collector, so he became a Martyr instead."
"What's a Martyr?" I asked.
"They serve as our security guard," He said. "They eliminate external threats to the Archive and take care of traitors."
"I see."
"That was a year and a half ago," He said. "I haven't seen him since then, but from what I've heard, he moved up in rank pretty quickly, eventually gaining the title of 'Martyr Epsilon'. Then, one day he... he..."
"He what?" I asked. He seemed nervous about the next part.
"He betrayed us," He said.
"Why?"
"In order to join the Archive, you have to give something up," He explained. "One day, he decided that he wanted that 'something' back. There was a fight. He killed several of our Martyrs, and in the end he fought against his mentor within the Martyr's, the infamous Martyr Delta. They both survived the battle, and He escaped. Martyr Delta was promoted to Beta shortly afterwards, and was given the personal task of exterminating him. And then his old mentor within the Collectors, who had by this point been promoted to Epsilon, was stricken with grief and abandoned us as well."
"This guy, he's Malkator, isn't he?" I asked.
"Yes," He confirmed. "He is by far one of our most powerful adversaries. And what's more, he's taken an interest in you. You need to watch your back from now on."
"I've handled crazy people before," I told him. "This guy seems like nothing more than an insane bastard who thinks that eldritch abominations are real."
"Yeah," He replied. "Insane. Right."


Well, I have to hurry up and post this. Tsu and I are gonna go check on that Timberwolf in the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment