Thursday, July 11, 2013

Going Our Separate Ways

Scia woke up today. Finally. She was worrying me.

“What happened?” she asked. “Where are we?”
“We're hiding out in a warehouse right now,” I told her. “It was the best place I could think of.”
“Zack's... dead, isn't he?” she asked.
“Yep,” I told her.
“The Crow did it?” she asked.
“Apparently it's the 'Black' Crow now,” said. “Yeah, it was him.”
“I see,” she said.
“Oh, yeah, I got you this,” I said, tossing her a spiked collar I got from a Hot Topic.
“What the hell is this for?” she asked me.
“To cover up the scarring and the stitches on your throat,” I said. “It would be weird to walk around like that in public.”
“Why a spiked collar though?” she asked. “Why not get me a turtle neck sweater?”
“Because turtle necks are fucking ugly,” I said.
“Whatever,” she said. “I'll wear it til I can find something better.”

She then noticed the rapier lying on the ground.

“That's one of Zack's swords, isn't it?” she asked.
“Yeah,” I said. “It's identical to the one ParaDan uses.”
“Who?” she asked.
“My future self,” I said. “It's complicated.”
“So, if he's from the future, then this might be the present version of his sword, right?” she asked.
“Possibly,” I said.
“Can I have it?” she asked.
“What?” I asked.
“You've already got, like, three swords, don't you?”
“Two swords, a knife, some brass knux, and a handgun,” I said.
“See!?” she said. “You've got like, twelve weapons already!”
“That is a huge exaggeration,” I pointed out.
“It would only be fair for you to give the sword to me,” she said.
“Fine,” I said. “But I should warn you. That's no normal sword. When I held it, I could feel my emotions starting to slip away.”

She picked it up off the ground.

“Yeah, you're right,” she said. “This sword is definitely affecting me somehow. Not much, but I can still feel it.”
“Yeah,” I said. “I should probably get going.”
“What?” she asked. “You're not gonna stick around?”
“I've been gone too long,” I said. “I have to get back to the others.”
“I see,” she said. “See you later, I guess.”

I prepared to leave, but before I made it out she stopped me.

“Can I ask you something before you go?” she asked.
“Sure,” I said.
“What was... what was my dad like?” she asked.

I had to stop and think for a minute. That was a tough question. Actually describing Malkator like that wasn't easy.

“Well, you remind me a lot of him,” I said.
“Really?” she asked. “How so?”
“He was violent and reckless, and he had an inner darkness that he couldn't always control,” I said. “But despite that, he was a good person. He fought against the Fears for the sake of the humans, and in the end, he died for them.”
“I see,” she said.
“I'd better get out of here,” I said. “Bye.”

I left after that. Not sure when 'll be seeing her again, but I'm sure I will.





Malkator's not the only one with darkness in his heart. I felt it for a while now. I have my own inner darkness. And I'm not sure how long I can resist it.

No comments:

Post a Comment